May 7, 2017
Sure – you’ve heard of dental implants, but what exactly are they? And how can they benefit your smile? If you have missing teeth, this option is now the gold-standard for replacement teeth. They’re durable, long-lasting, and blend right in with your natural smile. In this post, the team at Montgomery Family Dental, your trusted and compassionate dentist in Marysville, teaches you about the beauty of dental implants and the positive effects they have on the appearance and functionality of your smile.
What Are Dental Implants?
Before we talk about how dental implants in Marysville can benefit you and why they’re far and away the best solution for prosthetic teeth, Dr. Katie Montgomery likes to define what they are. These dental restorations are made up of three parts:
- Titanium Implant Post – This is the actual implant itself. Made of strong, biocompatible titanium, the implant post will be surgically placed in your jaw. After this heals and fuses with your natural bone structure during a process called osseointegration, the other two parts of your artificial tooth can be added. Generally, healing time is about 3-6 months.
- Abutment – This is the connecting piece that links the dental implant to the tooth-shaped cap that will look and function like your natural tooth. Abutments can be made of titanium, stainless steel, gold, zirconia, and ceramic.
- Dental Crown – This is the part of the implant that looks like your natural tooth. Made of durable, life-like porcelain, the natural-looking results will make sure that the only person who knows you have a false tooth is you.
How Are Dental Implants Used?
Depending on your needs, Dr. Montgomery has different options to give you the best results possible. Dental implants are used in the following situations:
- To Replace One Missing Tooth – A single implant is perfect for this situation.
- To Replace Several Missing Teeth – Depending on where the tooth loss is, we can use multiple single implants, or an implant-supported dental bridge that replaces several missing teeth in a row.
- To Replace A Full Arch Of Teeth – If you’ve lost an entire row of teeth, don’t despair! Our All-on-4 implant-retained dentures use a series of 4 posts that become the secure foundation for your dentures. The great thing about this option is that you’ll have a perfect smile in just one day. That’s right – you’ll walk out of the office with your brand new, temporary upgrade at the same appointment where the implants are placed. You’ll just have to come back to have the permanent dentures to be placed, and your new permanent teeth will be good to go!
How Can Dental Implants Benefit My Smile & My Overall Health?
Dental implants can do a lot for your oral, and overall, health, including:
- Improving jawbone density
- Making speech easier
- Allowing you to chew food naturally – even carrots, corn on the cob, or chewy caramels
- Staying in place permanently – so there’s no need to get adjusted to implants like you would with dentures and partials
- Protecting your natural teeth from chips, cracks, and breaks
- Maintaining proper tooth alignment
- Preventing gum disease
- Improving self-confidence and mental health with a stay-in-place smile
- Eliminating the need for messy dental adhesives
And, since dental implants can last a lifetime with proper care, these are actually the less expensive restorative option when compared to dentures, bridges, and partials, which need to be replaced multiple times as you age.
Now that you know what dental implants are and how they can benefit you, schedule your appointment with Montgomery Family Dental to bring back the radiant smile you deserve!
No Comments »
No comments yet.
RSS feed for comments on this post.